Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Last Week's Student Forum

Last Thursday afternoon, MTSU President Sidney McPhee held an open forum for students to ask questions concerning the budget cuts. You can read about it here. I was unable to attend the forum, but I would like to make some comments based on what I have read and heard (from credible sources).

This was the only student forum, so I am discontent with the one-hour time frame of the forum. McPhee's presentation was 40 minutes long, leaving only 20 minutes for questions. He also claimed he was hosting an event in his home that evening and could not stay after the scheduled time. What convenient scheduling, and I can only assume the president chose this time for the forum.

From accounts I have read on the forum, he was again evasive with his answers, and he again spoke to students as though their concerns were due to them being misinformed and no the concners of adults who had read the recommendations and still had concerns.

I also feel I must address the students as well, as this has stirred up quite a bit of controversy (see the above article for specifics). While I agree that this perhaps was not the best way to get a message across, I also acknowledge why students feel this was the only way to be heard. McPhee has repeatedly demonstrated that he does not value student input, and he readily dismisses concerns students have about the budget cuts.

Could this be seen as disrespectful? Of course. Could McPhee's attitude toward students be seen as disrespectful? Definitely. We are fighting against each other because no one seems to be able to figure out how to work together. I don't want a fight, but I certainly won't back down if one is presented. I would much rather sit in a room and talk about the issues, but my attempts to set this up have been ignored. These students actually got an audience with McPhee, so I guess that must have been less than satisfying.

I will refrain from commenting further until I give McPhee adequate time to respond to my questions. Here is the e-mail I sent him today:

President McPhee,

I am currently updating my blog to reflect comments and observations on the student forum held like week, and I would appreciate your comments so that I can include your viewpoint. From what I have gathered, the main concerns students had are as follows:

1. Why was the forum only an hour, with such limited time for students to ask questions? Why wasn't it scheduled at a time when you could have devoted a larger portion of the forum to addressing student concerns?

2. Students have commented that your usual answers involve telling students to read the recommendations. This gives students the impression that you believe most of them are simply uniformed and would not object otherwise. What would you say to students who have read the report and find these remarks dismiss their concerns?

3. Why do you think the turnout was as low as it was? Do you believe it can be attributed to the many students who leave Thursday because they do not have Friday classes? Do you believe students do not care? Do you believe students have given up on voicing their concerns?

4. I, and others, have heard that as president there are certain perks you have, including a personal chef for your wife. Are these statements true, or are these rumors put forth to stir controversy? If they are true, would you be willing to forgo these benefits until a more financially appropriate time?

Finally, I have a question for you, and I do hope you answer it:

If you must make cuts that affect academic programs, are you willing to make a statement, confirmed in writing and signed, that these are cuts are a one-time decision in a time of crisis and that the university will take steps to better plan for the future to avoid such problems in the years ahead?

I thank you for your time and consideration, and would greatly appreciate a phone call or e-mail reply.

Sincerely,
Wendy K. Caldwell

I have sent McPhee an e-mail requesting he address the main c

No comments:

Post a Comment