Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Congressional Phone Call

This morning, I got a phone call from Tennessee District 6 Congressman Bart Gordon. I have always thought highly of the Congressman, as I think he truly embodies what a Congressman is: a representative of the people.

We talked for about 5 minutes, until he got paged for a vote, although 5 minutes in DC time is impressive. He, too, went to MTSU, and is concerned of the potential effects of the budget cuts. He has been following the story as well. He mentioned the government stimulus, which will probably sustain everything for the next two years. He also assured me that no one really wants to make cuts, but they have to cut what TBR says.

Based on his understanding of the situation, he said few, if any, programs will be cut completely. He said a possibility is some majors being only offered as minors, but, again, it probably won't be for a few years. He also said he has been told that those currently involved in the programs will be allowed to stay and complete their degrees.

He suggested that I keep following the story as I am now and that I say involved. I certainly intend to do just that. Here is hoping that others realize that MTSU alumni, regardless of current situations, will be affected by these budget cuts, and it is cause for concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment