Monday, March 23, 2009

A Response from McPhee

It has finally happened! MTSU President Sidney McPhee replied (actually, replied all) to my e-mail. Granted, it was a brief response, but I am quite pleased that he responded.

Here is his response:

Ms. Caldwell,
Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments and feedback regarding the proposed recommendations contained in the institution’s “Positioning The University For The Future Report” . I recommend that you read the entire report which could be found on our webpage.

Sidney A. McPhee

It isn't much, but it is a start. As with Gebert, I decided to respond in hopes of starting a dialogue of sorts. Here is my response:

Dr. McPhee,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I have read your report, along with your recommendations, and I agree that there are some commendable suggestions. I was pleased that you highlighted programs that should be self-sufficient. How are these programs held accountable if they fail to meet this expectation? I was also excited to see notes on saving energy cost. I agree that this is an easy (and necessary) way to drive down costs without negative consequence to students and faculty.

I know that times are tough, and I know that by working with all departments, decisions can be made that will truly be in the best interest of the students. Accountability is key to the future success of the university. If MTSU loses the trust of taxpayers, alumni and students, the financial consequences would be far greater than the current budget issues.

Respectfully,
~Wendy K. Caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment